Monday, January 2, 2012

Here's to 2012!!!

Cute, Cute Kochanie - 16 February, 2011
But on other news, I had a really wonderful 2011. Many productive experiences that I think will aid me in my future goals and many connections internationally. It is all I need to inspire myself to continue working this hard in the coming year:

  • I got great experience that killed two birds with one stone at a newspaper - The Freeman's Journal. I learned a ton about publishing, and continued to develop my graphic design skills. 
  • I had the chance to say goodbye to my best friend Kochanie, and was very lucky she passed before I left the country - it is still a raw and painful subject
  • I continued my graphics experience at a custom t-shirt shop in Cooperstown - which was both fun and exciting. There is nothing better than the opportunity to tell off a tourist, or even reward them for considerate actions towards the locals. 
  • In September, I got on the plane and landed in London. So far, I have put in three months to my degree and I could not be more happy with my decision to attend Kingston University. 

A new journal for new year - which is
something I've never done before.
I am using it to write down and
keep track of my resolutions. 
January 1st is a great day for reflection - but not just of the last year. I found myself flipping through old photographs on facebook, going back quite far into my past. My first months in London, the last year living at home, my last term at Oneonta State, studying abroad in London for the first time, and all my continued and beloved years in undergraduate. Each picture put a larger smile on my face, and I found myself longing to see old friends and feel the comfort of walking the grounds of Oneonta's green campus. I left this trek into my past with one, solid emotion - What a good life I've had

I have really enjoyed life, and I plan on continuing that habit. But, of course it is a challenge for anyone to accomplish anything without support - any type of support. 

My family and myself on the day I
graduated from Oneonta State - 2010. 
I am aware that not everyone is as lucky as I am to have the support of my family and this Christmas break has been the perfect reminder. The thing about family - that I believe should form some unwritten law - is their unconditional support. I do not even like to think of where I would be right now without them all holding my hand. Most likely, I would not be in London or trying to become a writer. 

The thing is, you can pick your friends, but you cannot pick your family - and that is only right. Family is supposed to forget, forgive and love. If this was not a rule than there is no chance my sister and I would have a healthy relationship, but thanks to the knot of family, we have a brillant relationship. It is the same knot that I feel when I get stuck in my writing, the pressure of our mutual commitment to each other and our goals. I can write, and I cannot fail when I know they are there to push me over the looming humps on my way. 

So, on that note


This letter shows why I need a blog - So, people can read what I am saying and I can edit easily.

"It will MAKE everything more meaningful!"

Alright 2012 - I don't want to kick your ass because that just seems kind of mean and underserving. Instead, why don't we mutually agree that this year will be as wonderful as the last - if not more wonderful - and we help each other get to the end successfully.

Though, I would like a job around September, so I can start paying back my student loans - in case you were wondering.

xx, Kristin

1 comment:

  1. There's just so much I learn by reading your work. Keep writing!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete