Saturday, June 11, 2011

Visa - Tier 4.

Dear London,

I thought it would be important to post the Visa application process that I have gone through up to this point. Applying for a Visa is nothing I have done before, not even when I was a study abroad student. The reason is that as a study abroad student, you are allowed to remain in the United Kingdom for less than six months without a Visa. However, it is important to note that you cannot work without a visa, so that did hinder acquiring an income while abroad.

In this process, so far, I have made many - educational - mistakes. At the time of my error, it was very stressful trying to solve the mess I made for myself and I had very little assistance. I spent spent my efforts online, trying to fix it, only to be more confused.

So, below I am outlining the steps I have taken, including the mistakes...

Applied for Visa:
  1. Logged into - http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ - to apply for my Visa: Teir 4.
  2. Made an appointment to show my biometrics (passport, letter, bank statement, etc...)
  3. Paid the fee - $433 with my debit card
Realized I applied for my Visa too soon:
  1. Frantically searched the internet - there was a very expensive phone call I could have made - to see how I can cancel my application and get back my money, as I was not willing to pay for my visa twice. I discovered from an email by World Bridge, that if I left my online application alone, and did not attend my scheduled appointment, the application would stop processing and I would be applicable for a refund. The reason the application would stop processing is because they would not have the biometrics to complete said-application.
  2. Sent an email requesting a refund for the whole $433, while also having my bank also request a refund by letter - love my bank.
  3. Then, I waited.
Found the correct time & way to begin applying for my Visa:
  1. Kingston informed me that I cannot apply till June, because I needed to request a CAS letter (Conformation of Acceptance to Study) from their campus and it would only last for 3 months - I think.
  2. So, I waited till June 9 when I put in an request for a CAS letter through Osis, to which they responded that they will process my request ASAP (As Soon As Possible).
  3. Now, I am waiting.
Currently, I am trying not to panic as I wait for this CAS letter to come through. Everything will work out as it needs to, and I must spend more of my panic energy time on FAFSA right now (should be hearing from them by tomorrow). My biggest fear is that I will not have a visa ready by the time I go over, but maybe it would not be a big deal if it comes in later than I arrive? Once the CAS letter goes through I'll have to reapply for my application again.

Anyway, I am learning a bit from this process, which is why I found this blog important to keep earlier than the last one. Between Visa, FAFSA, housing and everything else that I am required to do on an independent level, I believe it is important to record it in case I ever decide to do this again. Though, the fact that I will be filling out an visa application twice may make the process stick in my mind.

Here is another random pictures from Study Abroad 2009.


View from the Effile Tower: Paris, 2009. Photographer: Kristin Bergene

xx, Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment