Sunday, October 23, 2011

London, London, London

Sebastian and myself in the
Cafe in the Crypt, I am going to
have to eat here sometime!
Taken by Justin White.
Close up of the
London Eye. 
This has been such an incredible weekend. I am not very good at the weekday part of my schedule - with the reading and the academic writing - but I am very good at the weekend part of my schedule where I am allowed out into London!

This should come as a surprise to no one.

On Friday, I did complete my writing workshop piece - which you will all be able to read in a few days when I post it on my writing blog. I had been working on it over the last few weeks, and I am pretty happy about the result. I put this in print now, so that when my class gives me feedback this coming Thursday, I will remember a time when I was proud of it - haha.

After I finished up with my work, it was time for me to take on the fun side of my schedule. (From Friday night to Sunday night, I am allowed to do whatever I want - says me). I met a few friends for dinner, and then we went to see the movie Contagion. I really enjoyed it, and the cast was incredible, but if you are even a slight hypochondriac DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. You will never touch anyone or anything again. Then, we went out on the town - hit one of our new favorite bars and then crossed the street to do a little dancing at a local club. I was exhausted by 1:30am, but did not get into bed until 3ish in the morning - do to peer pressure, I'm looking at you Stace, haha!

Andy, Alyssa, Justin and myself in the Maple Leaf pub.
Taken by Justin White.
Saturday, I met up with a few people from my course at Waterloo Station and we headed into London. It was really crowded with tourists, but we could not resist walking to the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. While I love this walk because of how beautiful the buildings are, and the many memorials along the way, my favorite part this time was that I actually remembered how to walk there! We made a goal of taking 50 pictures each, I only got to 17 pictures for the day. I was having too much fun just being in London.

After strolling through the gallery we headed to a Canadian pub called the Maple Leaf. It was a nice sports bar, but it had a homey atmosphere - even though I am not from Canada. I also tried a new beer called Moosehead. It was delicious. It was really nice getting to know the people in my course a little better and I have to say, we are really cool people!

Andy, Sebastian and myself walking...
somewhere . Taken by Justin White. 
Tomorrow, I have to get back into work mode. I think it will be easier after having such a busy, exhausting weekend. I have some big assignments coming up that I really need to focus on so that I can use my reading week for something exciting, like traveling. I was thinking somewhere easy in the United Kingdom, Wales or Scotland perhaps.

In other news, does anyone want something specific from England for Christmas?



xx, Kristin


4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are having opportunities to meet people and to explore life in another place. Thanks for your writings and pictures. We love when you share some of your experiences. Be safe, study hard and have a little bit of FUN; which I think you are great at. Love you lots, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work hard, Play hard -- that's my motto and it seems to be uours too!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete