Thursday, October 13, 2011

One Month in London

I have hit the one month marker for my time in London. Last time - this is when I began to get homesick. This time - I am not.

I miss my family and friends - like whoa.

I miss my home and my car - for their small comforts.

I miss knowing where I am and where I am going - because, I am here now and haven't created the next goal yet.

But, I am not really that homesick. I have been in a weird funk, which could be attributed to homesickness, but in further thought, that does not seem to be the case. It actually seems more logical that I am trying to figure out how to balance be a student, being social, and being in London. I give up and, with exasperation, I fall on my bed to never rise - while thinking of the massive amounts of things I could be doing, or should be doing.

Okay, so I do rise.

I do go to my classes.

I do meet up with friends.

Etcetera. Etcetera.

But I am still funked nonetheless.

In other news:

  • I am getting ready to by my plane ticket for the winter break. The dates I am looking at are the 20 to the 8th, but they might change. I am aiming to buy my ticket by the end of the week, so we will know for sure then.
  • I am trying to arrange a time to visit my family in Norway. Right now we are looking at the week of October 31 - November 7. This is my fall break, when I should be doing work - but I'll just make sure to be a little more productive and a little less funked. 
  • My friend, and fellow dork, Ruth and I have just bought our tickets for the STUDIO TOUR OF HARRY POTTER IN LONDON!!! I am beyond, beyond, beyond excited for many inexpressible reasons, which I don't think need to be expressed anyway. We will not be going until mid-April however, so I have to hold onto my pants until then.
  • OMGOMGOMG! ... And now, this 23 year old is moving on ...

These current ramblings are no where near the mental state I thought I would be in after my first month. I guess this is the fun of trying new things, you never know where - or what - you will be in a month. One month ago, I was freaking out in an airport. I was lost between my emotions of being afraid to fly, and leaving my family. I had little, but dear, friends waiting for me here, and now I have more international friendships than I can handle. I was excited to see what this whole publishing thing was about, and to challenge myself as a writer, and now, I am more sure I will be a happy career woman surrounded by books. I knew I wanted to try living in a new place, start fresh, and now I know I want to grow up to be an American. I know want to be the New Yorker that I undoubtedly am.

However, some things never change, like my bewildering and obsessive love of Harry Potter. 

I am very certain the next month will go much faster. I will have more work, less time, higher ambitions and a larger appreciation of a good cup of tea. Also in the next month, I hope to get outside of London and see something new, perhaps make a solid trip to Wales or Edinburgh, maybe Dublin. Maybe I will just get on the train and head north, hoping I am lucky enough to find a small town, with a smaller hotel. I imagine northern England to be much like Cooperstown; right on the edge of a massive collection of culture and excitement - of which it absorbs - but still able to reamin calm, and friendly. 

xx, Kristin



2 comments:

  1. Once again your written words make me smile from ear to ear. I hope you do have a chance to accomplish all you want to accomplish. I hope your funkiness subsides and lets you do what you really need to do.
    super proud mama, love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I have done some things I needed to do - so, I am off to a good start!

    I am glad I can make you smile, that is my objective!

    LOVE YOU MOM!!
    xx, Kristin

    ReplyDelete