Monday, September 5, 2011

ONE WEEK

Dear London,

We are down to the last week at home.

In one week - at the moment I started writing this post - my plane will be gearing for take off. And, while it's first stop is limited from Albany, NY to Boston, MA - it is still the beginning. So, it is easy to say that everything is dwindling to an end. Goodbyes have begun - though not forever - and packing is taking precedent from other daily rituals. 

It is appropriate that this week should be so wet and gray. 

I believe comfort is coming from the changes in my other friend's lives who have also spent the last year and a half in good ol'Cooperstown. Kaylan is now settling in New York City for her own graduate program at Columbia Teacher's College. She is as nervous as I am about being a postgraduate student. Eric has found an apartment in Brooklyn where he can start his ambitions in the city. It seems that we are all falling into our personal goals. It is a nice achievement.

For Kingston, I am down to organizing dates. It seemed from a moment of confusion over the weekend and this morning, I am unable to attend the seminar on being a postgraduate student - an international postgraduate student. It seems important right? But unfortunately the only thing I can do at this point is shrug my shoulders and sigh. It is no surprise to me that yet another struggle would arise in the 12th hour. If they do not have room for everyone to attend, it must not be exceptionally important. If it is, I will bribe my friends to take good notes with a nice cup of coffee - or tea

In other Kingston News: The publishing half of my master's degree has been filling me with much information about courses, reading lists, and an all day event on September 22 to introduce me to the program. Though, I will not be purchasing any texts until my loans come in on October 3rd - which will be a scary time with the loans coming out of my very empty home bank account. I guess this will be a good time to see if the library has those texts that I can glance over so I do not fall behind. 

The creative writing side of my master's degree has been relatively silent. The email where I was told to read Rebecca  - which everyone should know I LOVE - was the first and last email I received from them. Period. I sent them an email yesterday asking about the lack of incoming instructions, whether I am not on a mailing list I should be on, or if they just have not gotten around to sending out their emails. So far, I haven't heard anything yet from that email either. In response, I have settled into my new adapted personality. I have shrugged and sighed and will be patient - waiting for them to take their time, and tell me what I need to know. It seems that I am not the only facing silence from their faculty either - which is oddly uplifting

I am still without an apartment, though Stacey has found another good option which she shared this morning. It seems that we will have to provide some furniture - dislike - but the rent is super cheap - like - and it is both really close to campus - like - and Philippa - like. Of course, we still have to get there to take a good look inside, as the website has no interior pictures - suspicious. 

For banking - which is something I need to solve quickly once in the UK - I have decided to go with Lloyds. They have a classic plan, which has the simple things I need like holding my loan money and a debit card. A few things I must consider in banking is how to get funds from my English account to my American account so I can continue to pay my student / car loans while abroad. I hope this will not be another struggle, but really - I have to do, what I have to do

Saying good-bye is getting harder and harder. Obviously it is not forever, but for some it will be awhile. I think that with each bon voyage reality is coming more into focus - but hey, it is only one year. And, with luck I will be coming home for Christmas - I just have to save my pennys! This week is very busy with trying to see friends before Friday - when I will be having a dinner with family before traveling to Albany to say good bye to my more family.

I am sure this week will go fast. 

This day already went exceptionally fast. 

xx, kristin



PS: Word on the street is that some of you are struggling to comment on my posts. I have posted instructions on the process, and if you follow them closely you should find all your questions answered. If not, send me an email and I will see how to help. Click here to reach the instructions : How To - Comment. Note: if you reply to the email that is sent to your telling you I have posted, I will not see that. 

PPS: If people are asking for a link to my blog please feel free to forward the email I sent before, or just share this URL - http://kristinandlondontaketwo.blogspot.com/ - I do not mind. When putting together that email, I was not sure who would want to read this, and I was missing many email addresses of family members who may want to keep in touch.  Also - I'm shy - haha. 





No comments:

Post a Comment