Sunday, December 11, 2011

9 Days till Home.

I am down to nine days and it is looking less and less likely that I am going to finish my Writer's Workshop assessment before I head home. While I have reached the word count, I am not yet comfortable enough to submit the piece. Although, it is certain I will never think it is ready and at some point I just have to let it go. The good news is I can email my assessment from New York, as long as it is postmarked with enough time before the due date of January 11th.


But let's rewind for a second:

This past Friday night we had a Christmas gathering at The Maple Leaf for those in the publishing degree - plus a few friends. As usual it was really wonderful to hang out with everyone outside of campus and in the centre of London.

Then Emma arrived on Saturday morning and I brought her around Kingston. She is officially the first person from Cooperstown that I have been able to show my London home = AWESOME. Later that night after a meal at The Albert pub, we met up with a few of my friends for Christmas Karaoke in New Malden. Even though I said I wasn't going to, I did end up singing three songs - The Elephant Melody from Moulin Rouge with Andi, Feeling Good by Michael Buble, and Baby It's Cold Outside again with Andi. If I do say so myself, we kinda rocked the house. I should also say I was only fueled on by a couple diet cokes - what caffeine does to me.

And to complete the weekend with a bang - I took Emma to my favorite cafe in London. We also walked through a Christmas market along the river Thames and there were so many cute / wonderful stands. I really would like to go back there before leaving London.


Anyway - back to what needs to happen in the next nine days. 

Thanks to Philippa for this great picture!
Other than my creative piece, I have a massive list of awesome social obligations and a pretty intense to-do-list. On Monday I have a Christmas Party with my publishing mates, tutors and the journalism MA students. I think it goes to show that here in England we party hard as much as we work hard.

On Wednesday I have a hair appointment at noon - which I really hope I do not forget. I cannot wait even nine more days, or at that point six more days, to chop off the mop on my head. I am thinking about two inches on the back and half and inch on the front. I lost the hair battle over the last three months in London. On Friday the newest Sherlock Holmes movie comes out, and I have already said I'd go with Ruth and I am really looking forward to it - dinner and a movie!


Other things I would love to do before heading back to New York for Christmas are:

  • Have lunch / dinner with a few of my friends.
  • Visit the Christmas Market along the Thames in the center again.
  • See the musical BACKBEAT again - & my love Andrew Knott.
  • Have a Christmas Market frankfurter from the Kingston market. 
  • Finish my assessment - still hoping for this.
  • Pack my suitcases for home - including carry-on & important paperwork
  • Finish the little amount of food left in my possession. 
  • Laundry - which is at least two weeks worth at this point
  • A possible pub quiz on Wednesday - though I am not certain of this
  • Visit the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland fair. 
  • Spend as little money as possible!

This is no real particular order to this list, and also I may have forgotten a ton of things I wanted to add - which is probably for the better. I am going to try and not stress myself out, but knowing me - which most of you do - I will be ready to pass out on my living room sofa by the time I get home next Wednesday afternoon and eat a pizza.


Oh well, worse things could happen!

I am very excited about heading home for Christmas and seeing everyone!!! Except for Jenny, because she will be having an awesome time here in the United Kingdom instead - cannot say I blame her

Only nine days to go!!!
nine days...  
& a massive checklist...
& social obligations...
& my writer's workshop assessment... 
... nine days.
xx, Kristin


No comments:

Post a Comment