Sunday, December 4, 2011

IT IS ALMOST CHRISTMAS!!!!

It is now December and the countdown begins:

  • 16 days - I will be boarding the plane home.
  • 15 days - I hope to hand in my writer's workshop assignment.
  • 6 days - To find a place to live. 

Before then and now, I have two weeks of classes left, 5,000 words, several social events and - if luck has it - some food shopping because I am down to oatmeal. I am trying to learn how to say no to socializing, so this week I can spend my nights working on this creative writing piece. I made incredible progress yesterday and the day before, I just have to keep my energy up for the next 14 to 15 days. 

Also, yesterday and the day before I was at a publishing conference called Publishing Now - #pubnow. It was very interesting and we were filled with new ideas on where publishing could be headed over the next few years. 

  • Day One: was a debate in the back of a pub on several controversial issues in publishing such as self-publishing, eBooks, the survival of traditional publishing, etc. - free wine included. 
  • Day Two: was a day long conference were we continued to learn more about where publishing could be heading - even though the professionals admit it is hard to guess. Some conversations were even suggesting that eBooks are about to be old news and we are about to break into a new world of reading - free lunch and tea provided.

However, all of this future talk allowed me to realize something yesterday... I know where publishing might be going. I know there is a battle for traditional publishing - even though there is no way we will lose the paper pages of the book.  But, I have very little knowledge about actually printing books. Everything we are taught is about the future. Granted that is where I will be when I am working in publishing, but right now I need to know about how to print books. How many pages are allowed in the book, what are the requirements for setting up the pages in indesign, how do they send the pages to the printer, how do they work out cover designs, ect? 

Ask me about the future of publishing, I have several possible answers. 

Ask me about the present, I'll have to shrug my shoulders and pass on the question. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have found the current weakness in my education. I am planning on speaking to one of my tutors about it this week to ask if they can have a Master Class to give us information on the present publishing world and the details on printing. This is information we need. 


xx, Kristin

PS: Are you informed when I respond to your comments on my blog - because I do always try to respond!!! Because, I love you guys - haha.


PPS: Philippa is planning on getting a tree soon, and said I could help decorate!!! YAY CHRISTMAS!

2 comments:

  1. I thought I had sent you a message. I don't see it.
    We are excited to have you home with us. See you very soon. Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete