Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Thoughts of an International Student

Dear London,

Everyday - every weekday - it seems that I am hearing more and more from Kingston. It is a constant flow of term schedules, orientations, and twitter following suggestions. At the beginning of the week, it freaked me out. In the middle of the week, I was in an honest panic. But now, I have returned to a moment of calm.

The thoughts of being a student again, after being out of school for over a year filled me with excitement and fear. I love to learn. I love the institution of higher education. I love being able to control - to an extent - how I learn the material I am faced with. However, will I be able to control myself when I return to Europe? I have told anyone who had asked, or suggested their own desires, that rather than exploring Europe again I plan to hop on trains and see the countryside of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. But then my head goes - of course I will visit Italy again with Phillipa and of course I will return to Norway to see my family - and this time with pictures and better presents from america. Not to mention that I have to visit Amanda in Spain!

And I do fear that this chain will break my attention from my studies, the reason I am returning to Kingston - I think - to receive an impressive master's degree in Creative Writing and Publishing. Constantly, I fill my head with the thoughts and advice from my Aunt Sandy. The power of a master's degree on its own, plus the fact that I was courageous enough to travel to another to receive this degree IS A GOOD THING. I hate, hate, hate to be limited and this path I am on should make my limitations less - except with the whole dollar, dollar bills thing.

I can imagine that I am not the only worried international student, though the arasmus students - European International Students traveling to another European country for education - would not be faced with the temptation of most countries in Europe. Perhaps Ruthie and Stacey are in the same place as myself. Maybe I will make new friends, bonding over this constant cycling thought process in my mind.

ANYWAY - back to the emails. Now, I am aware that:
  • I should be finished with my course between June 4th and June 28th.
  • I also know what the Master Classes will be of and that they will occur every Monday from 6pm to 8pm.
  • I know that after I finish re-reading Harry Potter, I will need to read Rebecca.
  • I know that I need to create a new and private twitter account, so I can follow their suggestions easily.
  • I know when and what some of the orientation events will be and have added them all to my calendar.
Though - I still do not know:
  • when I will receive my loans
  • how and when to buy my plane ticket
  • what my courses will be
  • where I will live
  • and if my visa is as easy as I hope and think it seems.
These thoughts are still weighing on my mind and every time I run though them, I am certain I am missing one. Even now, I am sitting here thinking if I need to add something to that list, but nothing else comes to my nervous mind.

At this point, I can no longer say, "I am probably going to England this fall." I have made a promise I will not, and that I will spend a year learning amazing things inside and outside of the classroom. Fingers crossed that I am not forgetting anything...


Norway: 2009, Photographer: Kristin Bergene

xx, kristin

1 comment:

  1. Such a nice post, My partner and i enjoyed that a great deal! Nice style! Wonderful images! Buy D3 Items sell maple story mesos

    ReplyDelete